Monday, June 11, 2007

Lets go fly a kite....

I got home from work one day and it was really windy so Amber said we ought to take the kite out for another spin. We went to Elkhorn lake because there is a big field with plenty of space... at least I thought there was...

The First time we went flying, the wind was strong but all going in the same direction. This time the wind was all over the place. I was having a hard time keeping it up in the air, and sometimes the wind would stop all together and the kited would tumble towards the ground until another gust brought it back to life. On one occasion, the wind failed to pick the kite back up again, the slack in the line caused the kite to fall uncontrollably into a patch of jungle to the east of us... What began as a pleasant day in the park ended in me risking life and limb to recover a $5 dollar nylon shark from the grasp of nature.
I finally came up with a plan, I snapped one of the adjacent trees (which was dead) and controlled its fall so that it would pull down the kite. It worked but we lost the streamers on one side. It will take a little bit of repairing before jaws will fly again but, at least we won't have to buy a new kite.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Awesome kite!! My kids would love that. I need to just go get one.

Jann said...

It is so fun to fly a kite. We love to go to Fort McHenry and fly our kite there. We will have to go together sometime.

Cami said...

When Amber told me about the kite, I expected some lame diamond one. That sharky is totally worth saving! Nice job!