Monday, May 14, 2007

Grandma Ketterer

While we were at Disneyland, we got the news that Grandma Ketterer had passed away. This came as hard news but was by no means unexpected as she had been suffering from alzheimer's disease for over a decade. Physically she was, for the most part, healthy but as alzheimer's took its hold, she had become much like a child mentally. This was very hard for us to see because she was always so intelligent and sharp. She lived in my parents home with us for a few years after Grandpa died. Her family eventually put her into an assisted living home that specialized in caring for people with alzheimer's disease. While she was there I did not visit her very often because it was hard. I have some memories of her before Grandpa died and before the disease took over her mind. To me she was not the same person that was at the assisted living center. It was easier for me to imagine that she was already gone. Her death is hard on me because I hate to see my Mother alone without any parents left. I can only imagine that it is terribly lonely having your mother die. On the other hand, I am happy that she is no longer imprisoned by a body that is worn out. I can imagine that she is happy where she is now and finally after all these years, able to be with here husband and her family and loved ones. For the dead, death has no sting.


Kareen Jordan Ketterer 1919 ~ 2007 Kareen Jordan Ketterer, beloved wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, 87, passed away peacefully May 10, 2007 in Sandy, Utah. She was born December 28, 1919 in Howell, Utah to David Henry Jordan and Mary Hannah Pidcock. Kareen graduated from the Univerity of Utah in 1942 with a B.S. degree in Elementary Education. She was sealed to Paul Ketterer Jr., her sweetheart in the Salt Lake Temple on November 21, 1946. She was a loving wife and mother. She was a devoted member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The most important things in her life were her family and service to others. She enjoyed reading, cooking, sewing and gardening. Kareen is survived by her children: Pauleen (Courtland) Cottrell, Carmen (Lance) Okimoto, Leslie (Craig) Smith and Karl (Vickie) Ketterer; sister Emily Burton; 16 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, two brothers, Reed Jordan and Neal Jordan and three sisters, Lois Lake, Mary Joyce Jordan and her twin, Carmen Jordan. A Viewing will be held Monday May 14, 2007 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Wasatch Lawn Mortuary, 3401 Highland Drive, Salt Lake City. Private family services will be held on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Jann said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. It is hardest on those left behind. I will keep your family in my prayer.

Cami said...

I'm sorry to hear this. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman.