Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's ALIVE!!! still

Avid readers may remember a post half a year back about our beloved computer undergoing power source corrective surgery. The recovery went well and all was normal until Sunday afternoon when out of nowhere, it displayed the not so great symptom that many refer to as "the blue screen of death." ((insert scary music here)) Now I know that all of you Mac lovers out there are laughing to yourselves... but in spite of all of those "I'm a mac.... I'm a PC" commercials, my little HP has been anything but a disappointment. It is going on 5 years of selfless service, that is 35 doggy years and about 60 computer years. I have literally taken it around the world, subjecting it to nearly a dozen airport security checkpoints... you get the point. It has been in the family longer than Logan. It has facilitated the writing of thousands of school papers and hundreds of blog posts... Wow... this is beginning to look like an obituary... Anyhow, after several failed attempts to get it to boot up properly the hard drive screamed and came to a deafening halt. So... off to Best Buy we went, and picked up a new hard drive installed it and all seemed good until:Stumped again, I went to the service forums and found that many HP pavilion owners have experienced this problem, they all said that it was the CMOS battery, which would have meant that I would need to completely disassemble the computer again to get to the battery on the mother board. UGH! as I was about to break out the screw driver another article caught my eye that talked about a BIOS driver update that happened back in 2004 that does not always reload correctly upon reformatting. I tried the update and surprisingly, it worked!
So, in keeping with the time of year, I proclaim, ITS ALIVE!!!!
LONG LIVE FRANKEN-PC!!!
Word to all my pc lovin pals:)

2 comments:

Rick said...

I love this series spencer...you're doing us PC-lovers proud...I was there the day you brought it home, after your desktop fiasco IIRC...cool!

The Fam said...

I can totally relate! My laptop has crashed 3 times and yet somehow my dad has been able to fix it each time. This last time I hadn't backed up anything for a long time so I was really upset about losing all my pics, etc. Well my dad tried everything...but get this..his last ditch effort was what some guys in IT told hom to do. Put the hard drive in the freezer! 2 hrs in the freezer and my files were retreived and the laptop is still going!