Saturday, November 03, 2007

Leaving home to come home

Last weekend I arrived home from Korea and I am finally getting back into the groove of things. I am still feeling the effects of the time change, and the smell of Kimchi still lingers in my clothes. I don't know where to begin describing the wonderful experience it was to go back to where I served my mission and be immersed in the culture with the people I love. Alot has changed since I left 6 years ago, but there are also things that will never change, Korea will always be a part of my life. There is something magical about waking up early to see the sun come up over the Oh-Ryuk islands on Pusan's South-East coast, or sitting in the raised pavillion overlooking the South river in Jinju where thousands of Korean peasants and warrior monks faught to their deaths to defend the fortress from the invading Japanese in the 16th century, or climbing South mountain in Kyoungju surrounded by towering pine trees and the remains of tens of thousands of statues. I have many wonderful memories of my mission serving there, but after a few years those memories began to feel like distant dreams and it was wonderful to go and refresh some of those and make new ones independant of my missionary experiences. Being away from Logan and Amber for so long was definately one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am grateful for the time spent back in the land of the morning calm, my home away from home.

5 comments:

Jann said...

Welcome home. It was good to see you guys at church today. Amazing to have the experience of returning to your mission area. James is always talking about Haiti, but has never had the opportunity to go back.

Kim said...

Spence, I'm so glad you were able to go back to Korea. I have to say I'm jealous. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever make it back to Ukraine. I know it was hard to be away from Am and Loli :), but what an incredible opportunity!

The Spiveys said...

Is that the Kimchi museum? Kris has a picture with the same "lady"!

Cami said...

I'm sure it's fun to go back to a place that was such a big part of your life! But I'm sure Amber and Logan missed you lots. We sure did!

Chris and Chelz said...

Wow! we are glad to hear you made it home safely!
-chelz