Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Black hawk Up

Last week I had the opportunity to spend the day in a Black hawk helicopter making deliveries to some of the soldiers out here. I had never been close to a chopper let alone in one so I was really looking forward to the trip. We took off at around 10 am and made our way to a few installations up near the DMZ.




Along the way there was so much to see. we flew over cities, mountains and farms, sometimes our flying took us pretty close to the ground. Before going everyone had been warning me about motion sickness and I was told to be sure to bring a bag (just in case) but I found the flight to be pleasant and comfortable, I have been on airplanes with more turbulence.
We flew through several canyons banking turns and blowing the leafs off of the changing trees. The timing couldn't have been more perfect, Korea is beautiful in the fall.
The rice fields have all been harvested and the changing colors are great.
this picture gives you an idea of how low we were flying.
the distance we flew in four hours would have taken us a couple of days to drive even with no traffic on these rural roads.
Once landed, we got to meet some of the soldiers that spend over 6 months at these installations without ever leaving. At one of the places, the Chef was wonderful enough to prepare cookies for us and a roast beef lunch. I felt like I was at my mom's for Sunday dinner.
The pilots were great and went out of their way to make us comfortable.
At one of the installations we got to see a Korean historical site called, the kings bath. One of the Korean Kings of the three kingdoms period was banished up into the mountains and he had this bath built on a natural spring. Nearby are hill tops that were fiercely contested during the Korean war such as Pork chop hill. Korea is so small but has had so many battles and wars, it is hard to go anywhere that is not historical.
most of the installations had a dog for a pet, one place had 3 puppies, I wanted to take this one home with me.


I hope I get to go again someday.

4 comments:

Katie Webb said...

my hubby flies blackhawks and i've never even sat in one! thats so not fair! looks like you had a great time!

Jason & Claire said...

Beautiful pictures...what an experience;)

Texan 2x2 said...

Awesome trip! Thanks for the pictures. Loved seeing them. Hope you get to go again sometime!

Becca said...

What an experience! I love your family's adventure!