Friday, August 03, 2007

The Big Island

The weekend before Amber left to go home we got tickets to fly from Oahu to the big island of Hawaii. The big island is famous for volcanoes, farming and waterfalls. We saw all three!Here we are on some of the lava formations, it looks like puddy. The lava rock was very light in weight and if you look closely at it is full of colors and bubbles, it looks kind of like burnt plastic.
What is amazing is how such a barren place is so full of life. There were times when the air was so full of sulfur that we could hardly breathe, and the heat and dry wind took the moisture from our mouths, and still we would find small patches of flowes and plants.

we followed the old flow of lava to the water's edge and were taken away by the overhanging cliffs. The waves would smash into the walls and send spray hundreds of feet to where we were standing. I felt like the ground was going to give out from underneath me.

About a mile hike from the waters edge there is a special area where natives carved images into the lava. There are figures of men and circles and animals and thousands of quarter sized holes where the natives would put part of a baby's umbilical cord to ensure long life.

We had a blast! I wish Amber were still here but only a few days more and we will be back home. I will post more pictures when I get the time.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Wow, that looks amazing. That's all I have to say.

Jann said...

What an amazig trip you have had. I hope you travel home safely.

Amber said...

Lover, the pictures turned out great! Thanks for making the post and thanks for such a wonderful trip. I had a blast. I can't wait for us all to be together again. I love you. We will see you soon....

Corinne said...

WONDERFUL!! I hope Clint and I can have such an adventure someday :)