Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday LOLI!!!

2 years ago this week, I was finishing up a 3 month internship here in Maryland. My dad flew into BWI to help me drive home. Amber had been keeping herself busy going to work and to birthing classes without me. We thought we had everything all planned out so that I would have plenty of time to come home, buy a crib and a car seat and get the house ready for the baby (because he wasn't due for another month). My dad and I drove 3 days straight to get home and the next day I had made plans to go to 7 peaks with my friends. Amber was going to go into work early and so she could be home early to go to her last appointment with the doctor before the due date. Amber woke up in the morning feeling kind of funny and she told me she didn't feel like going in, and I reminded her that the earlier she went in, the earlier she would be home. around lunch time, Amber called me and and told me she really was feeling strange and she decided to drive home. I told amber that we should call the doctor and move our appointment up so that we could find out what was going on, but Amber insisted that she was fine and that she just needed a hot shower. After the shower, I was beginning to get really worried. I told her that we should go to the doctors. He had told us to come in if anything was out of the ordinary. Armando, my friend, helped me give Amber a blessing and we headed out to the doctors. When we got there, it was business as usual. The high-school aged secretary made us sit and wait in the waiting room as if everything was normal until finally Amber was taken back to give a routine urine sample. No sooner had she shut the door, when I heard her yell, "Spencer get in here, I'm bleeding!" I found the doctor and he ran to the bathroom. The bathroom in this office faces the waiting room, and is hardly big enough for one person, So when Dr. Barry opened the door and started to check her out, the whole waiting room was watching. The Dr. could feel Logan's head and he turned to me and asked, "Do you want me to call an ambulance or do you want to drive yourselves to the hospital?" I said drive, and we were off. Bri, Amber's sister, was with us and it is a good thing cause I had no idea where the hospital was and Amber was in no condition to act as my navigator. We got to the hospital and we got the same treatment we had received at the doctor's office, the lady at the front desk gave me a hand full of papers and said, "have a seat and fill these out, and we'll be right with ya." I was thinking to myself, "She is going to have a baby right here on your desk if I fill these out lady!" Just as I was thinking that, a nurse came in and grabbed us and I dropped the papers, we went into a delivery room. The nurse came in and told us that we were going to have to wait for the Dr. to get in to deliver. They broke Amber's water and then things really started to speed up. We were totally unprepared and sent Bri to the apartment to get us some supplies. The nurse checked Amber again and decided things were progressing a little too fast so they gave her meds to slow her contractions down, then the epidural guy came in. I about passed out when I saw that needle... Finally the Dr. arrived and we started. The bad thing was, because of the drug they gave Amber to slow things down, her contractions were ineffective and Logan's heart rate started to drop. The Dr. made the decision to use the suction plunger to pull while Amber pushed and a couple minutes later, (two hours after we had arrived at the hospital) we were the proud new owners of Logan Glen Cottrell. August 22, 2005 5:57 P.M. UVRMC 7Lbs. 1oz. 18.5in.

2 comments:

Mendy said...

I love it--the birth story from the dad's perspective! Great story; I do so love birth tales.

Jann said...

Amazing how fast things went for you guys. I wish my labor's had been just me feeling a little funny. That is fantastic.