Thursday, March 04, 2010

The right choice.


Last week we had a cool call from a modeling agency that Addysen has worked with. They asked if Logan would be interested in doing a Hyundai commercial, they saw him in the Oshkosh Ad and wanted to video him to see if they would use him for this shoot. Logan thought that would be really cool and so we said "sure come on over." (Have to say me and Spencer were pretty excited as well, we owned a Hyundai and loved it.) She came and asked him to say "Hi, my name is Logan and I am 5 years old." (They were wanting 5 & 6 year old kids and he looks 5 so he thought that was awesome!) He was shy at first and then his acting side came out and he was super cute. We were told they would call us on Tuesday of this week to let us know. We didn't hear and so I figured he wasn't chosen for the shoot. No big deal just didn't mention it. Then today we got a call telling us he was picked and it would be for this Saturday. I got off the phone and he was super excited. He said "Mom, I'm going to be on REAL TV!" "Yes you are Logan!"

A couple hours go by and they call me back to tell me that they are needing more time to make the set so they need to move the shoot to Sunday. They wanted to know if that still worked for us. I knew immediately that it didn't. I explained to her that we don't work on Sundays because we go to church and it is our family day. If they would like to move it to any other day we would love to join in but we can't on Sunday. She kept explaining the situation hoping I might change my mind but it wasn't even a debate. We believe in Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. This has been very important to us and I am grateful that it wasn't a conflict in my mind. Of course we are bummed that Logan will be missing out on this awesome fun experience. But, we also know that he will be blessed for this choice. We will get many other opportunities and it will work out just fine. When I got off the phone and explained it to him he totally understood. He was a little sad but I hope that this will be a lesson he can remember for a long time. I know that Logan may not completely understand what happened today, and I also know that for the most part, we made the choice for him, but I hope that in the future he will be able to look back on this and have it be a strong reminder that decisions like this, even when they seem small, become the foundation of who he will become. When harder decisions come his way I hope that he will find strength in the choice we made today.

8 comments:

Camrin said...

You are such a good mom! Way to stay strong and teach him a good life lesson along the way! :) Something else will come up!

Danielle said...

Wow, that is so good of you guys! We would be VERY tempted. But that's awesome that he was chosen!

OUR HOUSE said...

Such a good example Amber. So many parents these days don't mind their teenagers working on Sundays - it's disheartening. You're getting your kids on the right road now, and that's great!

Cami said...

Sad for Logan. But good for sticking to your guns! He'll have other opportunities. Your kids are quite the little models now!

Jann said...

Nice job. It sounds like he handled it well too.

Corinne said...

I would've done the same :) Way to hold to that rod!

Benjamin said...

So did you take him to McDonald's after the sacrament to cheer him up? Thats good parenting.

Christie said...

Awesome job MOM!!! Good for you! It's hard to stick to that, but it always works out. :-)